The Main House at Minsteracres Retreat Centre
We are open to the public and welcome anyone wishing to look around the house or say a prayer in church or simply take time to wander around our beautiful and extensive estate. Please contact us for more information.
Minsteracres is an 18th century mansion house, now a Christian retreat centre, in Northumberland , England . It is a Grade II listed building. The house was built in 1758 by George Silvertop. Originally erected with two storeys, a third storey was added in 1811 and a new North wing was built in 1865.
The Silvertops were a Roman Catholic family. George Silvertop was in 1831 the first Catholic appointed High Sheriff of Northumberland following the repeal of the penal law. His nephew Henry Charles Silvertop, High Sheriff in 1859 built a Catholic chapel adjoining the hall, and dedicated to St Elizabeth of Hungary in 1854. The chapel is a Grade II listed building.
The Silvertop family sold the House in 1949 for conversion to a Passionist Monastery. The present day Retreat Centre started in the 1980s.
There are several dedicated prayer spaces within Minsteracres. The environment and nature in which we are situated is prayer itself. Within the main house the chapel may always be used for private prayer, a prayer room is available on the second floor and the Poustinia chapel can often be used. The Parish Church of St Elizabeth is open during daylight hours.
In recent years the main house has been refurbished with the help of volunteers and a vigilant eye to ecological developments. Among its facilities are:
• A variety of large rooms for groups of 10 to 90 people
• A dining room
• Bedrooms: 3 doubles; 6 twins; 13 singles.
• A beautiful chapel
• A library.
More accommodation is available in our Retreat House
One of our charity objects relates to the environment:
"To promote for the benefit of the public the conservation, protection and improvement of the physical and natural environment of Minsteracres.”
We are committed to carrying out our activities in a manner which relates in a responsible way to the environment with respect for creation. We are especially mindful of the potential impact of environmental change on the poor and disadvantaged and the need for responsible stewardship.
- Our Environmental Policy
- Visitor's Map
- Youth Centre
- Grounds & Gardens (including a list of birds found on the estate)
- Peace Garden
- The Shrubbery with the help of the fantastic The Conservation Volunteers we are restoring this ancient woodland
- A Victorian Walled Garden